Sausages. Kids seem to love them, but as a Mum there are only so many sausages I can handle in a week. So I am always on the look out for new recipes and here is Darwin Family Life’s newest sausage risotto favourites.
I don’t know about your household, but sometimes we can get in a dinner time rut. You want to try out a new recipe but you may have fussy little ones who a) exclaims “YUK” as soon as a new plate of food is in front of them b) does not want to touch it or c) they push it around their plate and barely want to eat it. Or it could be a combination of all of the above!
In our household we have four little munchkins so this recipe got the tick of approval from all of them (six year old, two four year olds and the one year old). It is full of yummy veggies and got snags so that has got to be a winner with kids right! Our sausage risotto is a proven winning dinner.
What is even better about this meal besides being an easy mid week dinner to stick in the oven after a long work day? It is budget friendly and makes a lot of servings which means leftovers! Always winning having leftovers for lunches or another easy meal during the week.
So without further ado here is our yummy sausage and veggie oven baked risotto.
Sausage Risotto ingredients:
- 8 sausages
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper and mixed herbs
- 1 brown onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- Handful of baby spinach leaves
- Handful of mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups of aborio rice
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups of liquid stock (chicken or vegetable I use homemade)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- Parsley and parmesan to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut onion and fry with olive oil until soft.
- Cut sausages into bite size pieces and add to fry pan, add salt, pepper and mixed herbs to taste and continue to cook until sausages are browned and almost cooked.
- Blitz up celery, zucchini, carrot, baby spinach, mushrooms (and any other vegetables you feel like adding) in a food processor till diced small (or cut finely by hand). I find the small blitzed veggies are easier for my kids to eat but if yours are ok with their veggies then you can make larger sized if you wish.
- Remove sausages and onion from fry pan and put into large oven baking dish.
- Put the veggies into the fry pan and cook briefly for a minute or two adding some more olive oil if necessary.
- Add the rice, tinned tomatoes, stock and water and cook for about 5-7 mins making sure to stir often so the rice does not stick to the pan.
- Transfer the veggies and rice mix into the baking dish with the sausages and onion.
- Mix together the sausage risotto and put into the oven. Cook for about 30-35 mins until all the liquid is nearly absorbed and the rice is tender and not crunchy. Stir a couple of times during cooking.
- Serve up topped with parsley and or parmesan cheese. Enjoy this sausage risotto!
We would love you to leave a comment if you try this recipe!